How the money is spent
Give a monthly gift
We’re committed to spending as much of our funds as possible on delivering lasting change in people’s lives. For every £1 raised, we spend 84p on our life-saving and poverty-fighting programmes in the world’s poorest communities. We invest the rest in fundraising and the efficient running of the organisation. (See the bottom of this page for a breakdown of these figures.)
Our promise to you
We make this pledge to our supporters:
- We will always respect your privacy; if you prefer not to be contacted by certain methods please let us know.
- We will always protect your data; we will not sell your personal details or swap them with any other organisation.
- We have a supporter care team who are dedicated to you. We always love to hear from you.
- We will share stories of how your support is helping to change lives for the better.
- We will be honest with you. If we face challenges or make a mistake we will let you know; we are always learning.
- We are accountable to the people we reach through your support.
We are registered with the Fundraising Regulator and abide by its Code of Fundraising Practice and the Rulebooks for Street and Door to Door Fundraising. Our Vulnerable contacts policy sets out how we identify and protect vulnerable people when carrying out fundraising activities.
Our expenditure last year
In the year ending 30 June 2019, our total expenditure was £66.9 million, of which £62.1 million was spent on charitable activities (humanitarian response, development work and advocacy). You can see the breakdown of expenditure on charitable activities in note 4 to our financial statements (below) which is included in our Annual Report and Accounts 2018-19.
£4.6 million was spent on generating funds for current and future work. Further details are given in note 3 to our financial statements (below).
Expenditure on charitable activities and expenditure on raising funds both include an amount for 'support costs' which consists of management, office costs, finance and IT, human resources and governance.
Thank you for your support – we are extremely grateful to the many individuals, agencies, trusts and other organisations whose donations make our work possible.
Our full financial statements are included in our Annual Report and Accounts 2018-19.
For every £1 raised, we spend 84p on fighting poverty
Based on the figures in our annual financial statements, which are independently audited and submitted to the Charity Commission, we calculate that, of the funds we raise:
- 84% is spent directly on programmes implemented in the countries where we work. This includes programmes funded by the UK government, institutional donors, corporate donors, funding from the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) and funds raised through fundraising appeals.
- 16% is spent on:
- in-house technical advisors who design and monitor the quality of programmes, provide programme management support, and report back to and manage relationships with government and institutional donors
- fundraising – including preparing and submitting funding bids to government and institutional donors, and fundraising from corporate donors and members of the public
- office and support costs
- governance of the organisation to ensure compliance with UK charity and company regulations.
The calculation is a three-year average based on expenditure figures for the last three financial years.
Thank you for your support throughout 2020CARE supporters have made a real difference to our poverty-fighting work over the past year – find out how...A year in pictures: 12 photos showing people finding hope with support from CARE.Find out how CARE is helping people around the world to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic.